Tuesday–Sunday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing.
CLOSED on Monday, and official holidays
School Children: 0.5GEL
Children (under 6): Free
Friends of Museum (become a member): Free
Free to: ICOM members, museum employees, people with limited abilities, internally displaced persons (IDPs), socially unprotected persons.
Note: visitors receiving special benefits or free admission privileges should present relevant documents
Up to 10 persons 25GEL
School children groups 10GEL
Guide service is delivered in Georgian, English, German, and Russian languages.
Cloakroom service is free for the following items:
- Coats and jackets
- Travelling bags and backpacks
- Motorcycle/bicycle helmets
- Musical instruments
Handbags (maximum size A3) can be brought into the museum. In case of questionable items , a decision will be made by authorized personnel.
The following items cannot be checked:
- Money, documents, and identification documents
- Check cards and credit cards
In case of violating the aforementioned policy, the Georgian National Museum is not responsible for the loss or damage of any items.
Visitors should collect their belongings by the end of the working day. After the museum closes all the items left behind are considered lost. In case of loss of checked items, authorized personnel should be notified immediately.
Recommendations and Regulations
- The last entrance tickets are sold 30 minutes prior the end of working day. Visitors should leave exhibition halls 10 minutes before the museum closes.
- Children (under 12) should be accompanied by parents or authorized persons
- Parents, teachers, nurses, and group supervisors are responsible for children's actions
- Running, smoking, and excessive noise are prohibited in the museum. Parents are asked not to carry small children on their shoulders.
- Eating and drinking is allowed only in the cafe or the yard terrace of the museum
- Each member of the group should stay nearby the authorized supervisor
- Copying art works in exhibition hall without authorization from the museum administration is prohibited
- Visitors must keep their tickets until the end of the visit
- The following items are prohibited in any part (social or exhibition) of the Georgian National Museum: chemical and toxic substances; firearms and weapons; food and plastic bottles; sharp, overweight, or oversized items; other art works, art work reproductions, or casts; scooters, skateboards, or bicycles; pets and animals.
Photo and Video Shooting
- Taking photos of the museum building and permanent exhibitions for personal purposes are allowed without using flash and tripods
- Photo and video are strictly prohibited at temporary exhibitions
- Photography for commercial purposes is subject to prior negotiation and written permission issued by the museum administration and communications department
- Taking photo or video featuring GNM employees is a subject of prior negotiation with the museum administration
After the exhibition, you can visit our stores with your friends and family members. Purchase beautiful jewelry, accessories, great books, postcards and more, all inspired by the GNM's collection. Stores are available at: Museum of Georgian History, National Gallery, Museum of Fine Arts and Sighnaghi Museum.
1, L. Gudiashvili St., Tbilisi, Georgia
Tel: + (995 32) 299 99 09
Fax: + (995 32) 298 21 33
The National Gallery was established in 1920, and quickly became a center for Georgian arts and culture.
The Gallery was reorganized in 1932, and the Fine Art Museum was founded on its basis. It exhibited collections from the Historical-Ethnographic Society, Society for the Spread of Literacy, and Tbilisi State University's ancient Georgian art.
In 1933, Metekhi temple on Rustaveli Avenue allocated territory for the museum. As a result, the museum was known as The "Metekhi" Museum of Fine Arts during this period. The first director of the museum was Dimitri Shevardnadze.
Through the efforts of Ekvtime Takaishvili, the National Treasury-which had been exported to France for safekeeping by the exiled Menshevik government in 1921-was returned to Georgia and transferred to the Museum of Fine Arts in 1945.
The former Theological Seminary building, built in 1838 in the Russian imperial style, was also transferred to the possession of the museum (then known as the State Museum of Fine Arts) in 1950.
The following development of the museum is to the credit of its director, the academic Shalva Amiranashvili.
In 2004, the Shalva Amiranashvili Museum of Fine Arts was incorporated into the Georgian National Museum complex. Georgian chased and painted icons, vitreous enamel, jewelry, textiles, and unique works of embroidery are presented in the treasury of the museum. Old Georgian wall paintings and masterpieces of Georgian, Russian, European, and Eastern countries attract visitors today.